UPDATE: Check out our latest update here!
The campaign objective is to raise $8 million to construct and maintain a 49,168 square foot addition to the Learning Activity Center. This will address the immediate and critical educational and vocational needs for Reach Unlimited’s extensive waiting list.
The need is significant.
- There are more than 500,000 individuals in Texas with IDD, 30,000 residing in the Houston area. The school district where Reach Unlimited resides, Cy-Fair ISD, provides services to more than 7,200 children with special needs that will graduate requiring community support services. The mission of Reach Unlimited, to provide quality support services to help those with IDD live, learn and earn in the community aligns directly with the needs of our society as a whole.
- Traditional childcare settings do not typically offer services to individuals aged 12-14 and older. Since many individuals with IDD require supervision to ensure safety, families struggle to find appropriate activities in a safe environment where their children with special needs will thrive. Reach Unlimited offers after school care for students with IDD ages 12 and older.
- Due to limited building capacity, there are more than 160 people waiting for services at the Learning Activity Center and the list grows continually.
The addition will have a direct and positive impact on the need.
- Expansion will provide services for more individuals with IDD.
- Expansion will add needed vocational programming to further create opportunities for clients to develop independence and become more self sufficient (lessens the need for governmental support).
- Broaden community access to services like Special Olympics by providing a large practice space to be used on evenings and weekends.
- Provide a safe haven for community members with a disability during a crisis or catastrophe. A generator has been donated to operate the Phase II facility in the event of a power outage ensuring a safe environment with hygiene facilities and nutrition.
- Income generating options for Reach Unlimited through lease of space to community groups on evenings and weekends.
- The building addition consolidates administrative and program services to one location. Key services such as nursing and case management are then readily available where clients spend the majority of their time.
- Additionally a cost savings of $80,000 a year is realized by eliminating leased office space.